Job Title: Executive Director
Position Reports to: Board (Co-Chairs: Sue Donaldson and Juliet Schor)
Start Date: Fall, 2017
Better Future Project / 350 Massachusetts seek an Executive Director to start in fall 2017. The Executive Director works to successfully implement the mission of Better Future Project/350 Mass. The ED provides vision for the organization and oversees program and campaign development and implementation. The ED manages multiple staff, including the members of the Leadership Team, and serves as a public face of the organization. The ED has final responsibility for fundraising and budgeting. The ED works closely with the Board of Directors, meeting regularly with Board Co-Chairs and Executive Committee and reports to the Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hiring and managing staff (currently nine). The ED chairs the Leadership Team and is ultimately responsible for hiring and managing staff. The ED directly supervises the Director of Organizing, the Directors of Development and Operations, the Communications Coordinator, and the Campus Organizer.
- The ED is responsible for making sure there is a robust Strategic Plan that guides the organization, and with the Directors of Organizing, Development & Operations ensures that there is a robust, inclusive, and effective Annual Planning Process.
- Fundraising. The ED interacts with foundations and donors to ensure a robust revenue stream. Working with the Director of Development, the ED takes major responsibility for raising funds for the organization.
- The ED works with staff and volunteers to define direction and strategy for BFP/350MA.
- The ED engages in strategic support of campaigns and network development through participation in the 350 Mass Statewide Steering Team as well as high-level strategy sessions of all of the relevant campaigns.
- The ED is responsible for overseeing financial management, working with the Director of Operations, including the Annual Budget.
- The ED is a public face for the organization, and does public speaking and writing. The ED also attends conferences and movement activities to enhance the organization’s partnerships, fundraising, and overall work.
- Working with the Communications Coordinator, the ED oversees communications and media strategy for the organization.
- The ED is responsible for the coalitional work of the organization, and in many cases is the primary liaison to a coalition.
- The ED reports to and works closely with the Board of Directors
- Bachelor’s Degree required, post-graduate work desirable.
- Familiarity with climate issues, climate justice, and related policies.
- Minimum 3-5 years of organizing experience, ideally working with community groups, students, volunteers, and/or coalitions.
- Demonstrated success in management.
Strongly preferred qualifications:
- Experience in fundraising from foundations and individuals.
- Ability to engage and develop the vision of the organization, in the context of the fast-changing climate movement.
- Ability to guide the organization’s strategies with a “big picture” approach.
- Willingness to welcome, support and respect the role of volunteers.
- A commitment to a grassroots theory of change.
- A commitment to transparent communication and fostering development of staff at all levels.
- Experience in legislative work and coalition building.
- Superior analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
Salary and benefits:
This is a salaried, full-time position with salary negotiable based upon experience, and within industry averages. Benefits include 12 paid holidays, generous paid-time-off policies, vision, and dental. As a small, young organization, Better Future Project does not yet offer health insurance to its employees and hopes to do so in the coming years.
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. First round interviews will take place in April.
Applications, including a resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, and how you learned about the position should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Executive Director." Please include your resume and cover letter as one or two attachments with your last name at the beginning of the file name(s). Finalist candidates will be required to provide references. No calls please.
Better Future Project is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization working to actively challenge systems of oppression. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.