Jobs at Better Future Project
Come join our team! If the posting is up, that means we are still accepting applications.
Please note that our office is on the second floor of a building without an elevator and unfortunately not wheelchair-accessible.
Position Status: Full-time
Supervisor: Executive Director
Salary Range: $62,000-$70,000; Salary commensurate with experience
Start Date: March, 2021
Location: Cambridge, MA (once it is safe to reopen)
We are looking for a dynamic, experienced, and culturally competent individual to join our team as our first Deputy Director. The Deputy Director will primarily be oriented to internal organizational issues: supporting the management of programs, leading planning processes and attending to organizational culture. However the Deputy Director will also have involvement in our programs and will represent the organization in its public-facing work. And the Deputy Director will also take an active role in fundraising.
- Supervising leads for our three programs: Divest Ed, 350 Mass, and CREW as well as possibly our development/operations team.
- Ensuring the successful implementation of programmatic activities
- Bottom-lining processes for organization-wide strategic planning and annual planning, and supporting program leads in doing the same for their departments
- Maintaining a culture of sustainability to ensure the long-term well-being of the staff and overseeing internal staff/HR policies
- Supporting the Executive Director on major donor and foundation fundraising
- 5-10 years of management experience in a mission-based organization
- Experience in leading strategic planning for nonprofit organizations
- Cultural competence in working with people of diverse backgrounds and on issues of racism, classism, and sexism
- Experience in organizational change-making, and a good eye for process
- Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities
- Experience with community organizing preferred
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Passionate about Better Future Project’s mission and impact, including climate justice, social justice, and racial justice
- Outstanding verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, self disciplined
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – more and less experienced colleagues, internal and external, and from diverse backgrounds
Send resume and interest letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Deputy Director” and address the letter to the Hiring Committee. Include your last name in your resume and cover letter files. The cover letter should speak to your specific interest in and qualifications for this position. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. No calls please.
About Better Future Project
Better Future Project is a registered nonprofit that works to build a diverse, powerful, and democratic grassroots movement that will drive society to address climate change and its devastating effects, advancing a fair and fast transition beyond coal, oil, and gas toward an economy powered by renewable energy that equitably benefits all people.
Semester & Summer Organizing Internships
Better Future Project offers two paid internship positions each semester for a current or recently graduated student! This internship is in partnership with the Mass Clean Energy Center's Clean Energy Internship Program. NOTE: You must either have attended college in Massachusetts or graduated in the last year and are now a resident in Massachusetts.
We are specifically looking for young people with a demonstrated interest in issue-based community organizing. Past experience with social media, campus or community organizing, and advocacy are desired, but not required.
Compensation: $16 per hour
FALL/SPRING: Part-time, between 10-20 hours per week
SUMMER: Part-time (25-39 hours per week) or Full-time
SPRING: January or February
FALL: September or October
SUMMER: May or June
End: Approx. 12-15 weeks after your starting week
Location: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all programs of Better Future Project are operating remotely through the 2021 spring semester.
We are currently not accepting applications for either the 350 Mass and Divest Ed spring interns.
We also may have other volunteer opportunities in the office. If interested, please e-mail Jobs[at]betterfutureproject.org with your resume and cover letter, including details on your past experience and the type of work you are interested in doing.
Better Future Project is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization working to actively challenge systems of oppression. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.